CITYSCAPE DUBAI EXHIBITION 2008 WILL REVEAL MORE SUPERTALL SKYSCRAPERS. NO. 37 – 40 HAS BEEN CONFIRMED PLANNED FOR A NEW DEVELOPMENT CALLED JUMEIRAH GARDENS CITY.
FOR A ROUNDUP OF DUBAI PROJECTS, CLICK HERE.
Almost the whole world, including economic giants USA, Japan and China, is shivering over skyrocketing oil prices, one country on Earth seems largely unaffected. AND NOW CREDIT CRUNCH?
That is the United Arab Emirates.
The reason to that is simple. The world’s major consumers of petroleum are heavily dependent on the Middle Eastern oil. And oil-rich Dubai being the emirate’s main city and the main entrepot for the region is now flushed with revenues of billions and trillions like never before.
So Dubai is ‘showing off’ its wealth in an unprecedented transformation of its entire city skyline.
At least three so-called Business Districts have been rigourously planned to rise up in the middle of its sand dunes. The city has already become the host to the highest number of skyscrapers and super-high towers in the world. Amongst them are the world’s tallest building Burj Dubai and the completed luxurious Burj Al Arab and Rose Rotana Suites.
Critics argued what economic sense could be justified by building grandiose record-breaking structures when the current economic condition are unable to support these efforts.
Although the city is fast becoming an important tourist destination especially to the Europeans, Dubai has a relatively small population in excess of one million. Astonishingly to note that more than two thirds of its population are made up of expatriates (who are not locals), mainly consisting of impecunious people from subcontinental South Asia. Generally, they are employed as labours in Dubai’s booming construction industry.
Nevertheless, many locals believe that their small but affluent population coupled with some cash-rich tourists would not stop their dreams in making Dubai one of the world’s premier financial hubs in the coming decade.
We now take a review of the supertowers planned for this city.
Dubai On-Going Projects of more than 75 storeys:
1. Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest building is due for completion end of this year. Currently it has 162 completed floors.
2. The Pentominium – 120 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2011
3. Burj Al Alam – 108 floors – Location: Business Bay – Completion: 2010
4. Marina 101 – 102 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2010
5. Elite Residence Dubai – 92 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2010
6. Dubai Princess Tower – 101 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2009
7. The Torch Dubai – 84 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2008
8. Ahmed Abdul Rahim Al Attar Tower – 76 floors – Location: Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai Downtown – Completion: 2008
9. Al Yacoub Tower – 72 floors – Location: Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai Downtown – Completion: 2009
10. 23 Marina - 90 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2009
11. The Index – 86 floors – Location: Dubai International Financial Centre – Completion: 2010
12. Ocean Heights – 82 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2010
13. D1 Tower – 80 floors – Location: Dubai Culture Village – Completion: 2010
14. Infinity Tower Dubai – 80 floors – Location: Dubai Marina – Completion: 2010
15. Almas Tower – 74 floors – Location: Jumeirah Lake – Completion: 2008
16. HHHR Tower – 72 floors – Location: Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai Downtown – Completion: 2009
17. Lam Tara Twin Towers – 70, 60 floors – Location: Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai Downtown – Completion: 2010
18. Emirates Park Towers – twin 77 floors – Location: Business Bay – Completion: 2009
19. Dubai Dancing Towers – 80, 65, 52 floors – Location: Business Bay – Completion: 2011
— — —
Dubai Proposed Projects of more than 75 storeys:
20. Proposed The Signature Dubai Towers – 57 to 97 floors – Location: The Lagoons Dubai
21. Proposed Dubai Wave Tower – 92 floors – Location: Waterfront, Dubai
22. Proposed Marina Sky Towers – twin 100 floors and annexe 90 floors – Location: Dubai Marina
23. Proposed Hard Rock Hotel Dubai – 91 floors – Location: World Trade Centre, Dubai
24. Proposed Damac Heights - 105 floors – Location: Dubai Marina
25. Proposed Oasis Beach Hotel Tower – 90 floors – Location: Dubai Marina
26. Proposed Al Sharq Tower – 102 floors – Location: Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai Downtown
27. Proposed The Lighthouse Dubai – 66 to 80 floors – Location: Dubai International Financial Centre
28. Proposed La Residence @ The Lotus – Location: Business Bay
29. Proposed towers on Palm Jebel Ali, offshore Dubai
30. The proposed Al Burj that will be the world’s first ever 1km (in height) man-made structure. 228 floors no kidding !!! Soil testing for this project has begun at its location near Dubai Marina. This project has been redesigned and relocated to a location yet to be known.
— — —
Under Design and What’s Coming Up!
31. Abraaj Tatweer Twin Towers – 110 floors twins – Cancelled as announced on 12 May ’08
32. Asia Asia Hotel – planned to be world’s largest hotel with about 6,500 rooms, sited in DubaiLand
33. “Ggicouae” Tower – 106 floors
34. The Skyscraper Dubai is currently on-hold.
35. The conceptual twisting Da Vinci Dubai Tower has 68 floors. This project has been made public as “The Dynamic Tower Dubai“.
36. The Desert Gate are twin iconic towers that will greet visitors at the entrance of Al Bawadi. Al Bawadi is a string of 54 (not 31 as previously mentioned) themed hotels replicating world’s famous landmarks serving DubaiLand theme park cities.
37. The proposed Atrium City or “AC Towers” is a cluster of three supertowers rising above 100 floors, to be connected at base with an atrium and with skybridges. TO BE REVEALED in OCTOBER 2008
38. The proposed “EP07 Tower” will rise 125 floors and reflect Dubai’s pearl trading and farming heritage. TO BE REVEALED in OCTOBER 2008
39. The lower-rised “EP09 Towers” have open garden spaces with water, creating an oasis surrounding the six towers. TO BE REVEALED in OCTOBER 2008
40. The proposed “EP15 Tower” is a soaring tower of light and wind filter. It will have a build-up area of 300,000 square metres and will rise to 101 floors. TO BE REVEALED in OCTOBER 2008
41. and 42. Two spectacular concept towers planned for Mohammed bin Rashid Gardens - the House of Commerce Central Tower and an observation tower behind Sheikh Mohammed Mosque.
— — —
And finally there are many many more buildings under 80 floors constructed and being planned in Dubai.
The reality is that Dubai has ”too much” money from black gold :) And every minute, they are digging!